Monday, September 2, 2013

Jay Bosch's World War II History

To celebrate my father's 88th birthday today I have published his war memoirs in a free multitouch book on iTunes! Here is the story of the book:

About 10 years ago I encouraged my father to write out his memories of his service and being wounded in Italy during World War II. I typed and printed out his "book" and later self published it on Lulu. I recently realized I should put his book in digital form onto his beloved iPad so he could share it with others (since he takes his iPad with him almost everywhere he goes).

After the Apple Distinguished Educator conference in Austin this summer, it dawned on me that I should give my dad's story a larger audience (much as I do for my students) by publishing it on iTunes. I realized I could easily transform the text and photos that I already had into a pretty cool multitouch book using iBooks Author. I included photos of artifacts that he had saved from Italy and filmed a few new video interviews to enhance the text. I also experimented with using Hyperstudio Author to build an interactive widget showing his medals and patches.

I am so excited to be able to give this book to my dad as a birthday present.  Please share the link with anyone interested in a primary source first person account of World War II or who is interested in seeing what can be done in iBooks Author.


Here is the link where you can download the book onto your iPad for free:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/jay-boschs-world-war-ii-history/id683470567?mt=11

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin