Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chalkboard Door


I've recently done some painting in my dining room.  One of the changes that I made was to change an ugly brown door to the upstairs into a chalkboard door.  Below is a "before" picture of the door.


 I used Valspar chalkboard paint that I purchased at Lowes.  I first put multiple coats of Rustoleum Magnetic Paint as a base.  I never could get the magnetic paint to really work - after about 4 coats it would hold a very light magnet, but not a piece of paper under the magnet.  It also left a very rough surface for the chalkboard paint.  This week I added several more coats of the magnetic paint and sanded it smooth, but most magnets still aren't sticking.  Then I covered it with another coat of chalkboard paint.  The chalkboard paint works great, so my advice is to skip the magnetic paint!


Anyone who knows me knows I love all things Apple, so this was my first drawing!


Today I made this inspirational message.   It's not perfect, but I love it!
I love having the challenge of coming up with ideas that will inspire and encourage me.


Here's a little closeup - I did get a few vintage button magnets to stick, so I used them as "dots" to embellish the drawing.

I've been somewhat obsessed recently with all the clever ways people are creating chalkboards.  If you want to see some more ideas, check out my Pinterest Chalkboard board!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin