Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lemon Fennel Chicken Tortellini Soup


If I have a roast chicken, I usually make soup with the bones. No special recipe, just throw in whatever is leftover in the fridge.


I pick off any larger bits of chicken off the bones and set them aside for later to add to the soup. Then I throw the bones into a large pan with water and salt. This time I added large chunks of onion and some leftover fennel tops. (If I have carrots and celery, I'd throw that as well.) I also added chunks of lemon - I like how it brightens up the flavor!


Simmer until it tastes "brothy" - this time I simmered for 2 hours. I strain out all the bones and vegetables and toss them - most of the flavor has been boiled away. Add more salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If I don't want to eat immediately, I might refrigerate and then skim some of the fat off of the top.


This time I cooked some dried tortellini in boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside. (Don't put these into the soup until you are ready to serve. They tend to grow like sponges and soak up all the broth! Trust me on this one!) I added the chicken pieces, green onion, the tortellini to the heated broth, and added some bits of fennel top to soup before serving. Also, add a squeeze of lemon juice if you want a more distinct lemon flavor.


This is the first time I made chicken soup with the tortellini and it definitely was a winner!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin