Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chocolate Toffee Shortbread Bars


There is a parent at school who makes the most amazing toffee and gives it as gifts at Christmas. She has turned me into a big toffee fan. This recipe gives a little bit of that toffee taste on top of a buttery shortbread bar.

This recipe comes from a Betty Crocker "Cookies and Bars" magazine - one of those magazines that tempt you at the super market checkout with yummy pictures on the cover. When I started making this, I realized that I didn't have the correct size pan, so I used a 9 x 9 and an 8 x 8 pan. I did use pecans rather than the almonds that they had listed in the recipe. There are a few other things I think I will change next time. First, I would add a bit more sugar to the shortbread crust. And I would make a bigger batch of the toffee layer - maybe increase the ingredients by half as much. With a little tweaking, I think this recipe will be absolutely perfect.


Almond Toffee Shortbread Bars


3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter and 1/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the flour and continue beating until dough starts to form. Press into the pan. Bake for 13 to 18 minutes until lightly golden brown.

3. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt 1 cup butter combined with the brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring frequently. Then boil for 2 minutes without stirring. Add the pecans, quickly stir, and then spread over the shortbread layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until dark golden brown and bubbling. Remove from the oven.

4. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over top of the bars. Let them stand for 5 minutes, then gently spread the chocolate over the bars. Let cool about 30 minutes, then cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

2 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

You always post the most delectable recipes and pictures! These look awesome.

peggy said...

I love the recipies you pick, also the pictures of the food in the restaurants, but make me hungry. thanks for passing these on.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin