Monday, January 19, 2009

Pete's Place - Broadway Cafe - Ferndale

My friend Anne and I have gone to Pete's Place in Ferndale twice to eat. Both times my camera battery gave out after a few shots, so forgive the mediocre pictures. This restaurant is not in the downtown Ferndale area ( it's located on the corner of Hilton and Woodward Heights) and is in a small rectangular building, so it would be easy to drive right by and not know that it was an excellent restaurant. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner - our waitress told us that it is very popular with the weekend brunch crowd. Both of our visits were for dinner on a Monday night, although Anne also had been for lunch and had a delicious sandwich.

The place inside feels narrow with an aisle with tables on either side. The decor is modern casual with sleek tables and chairs mixed with some wicker chairs. The walls are covered with Broadway musical posters. Cozy and comfortable. Bring your reading glasses at night - it is a bit dark to read the menu if you are "of a certain age" and have those kind of issues!

The evening menu has a variety of sandwiches, salads, and entrees. For my first visit I had a chicken dish - I think it was the chicken picata - and it was very good. For this visit Anne ordered Broccoli, Rigatoni, and Pine Nuts. It was loaded with pine nuts and was very tasty.


I had the Sauted Salmon. The salmon had a slight crust (great texture) and had a little creamy white wine sauce under it. It was served with orzo, carrots and asparagus that was cooked perfectly, and swiss chard. I don't think I've ever had swiss chard before. It was sauted in a sweet tangy sauce - some kind of sweetened vinegar I think. It was really good. My only criticism - I wanted more of that creamy sauce for the salmon!


We didn't try the dessert but they feature homemade pies each night. Maybe next time. I'd like to come back and try the breakfast sometime, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin