Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chicken and Green Apple Curry


Yesterday I was looking for a recipe in one of my MANY folders filled with recipe clippings and I came across a curry recipe with the word "good!" scribbled above it. It came from a Cooking Light magazine that was at least 15 years old and that's probably how long it had been since I made it. It just sounded like the perfect kind of recipe to make on a gray afternoon, so I made it for my Sunday dinner.

I really like the slightly sweet taste of the green apple and raisins and the mild taste of curry. I adapted the original recipe, adding red peppers and using chicken breasts rather than canned chicken. I definitely won't wait 15 years to make this one again.


Chicken and Green Apple Curry

1 lb. chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch chunks (I used 3 half breasts)
2 teaspoons corn starch
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and cut in chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon sugar
1 (22 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1. Mix chicken breast pieces with corn starch, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet and add the onion, red pepper, and apple. Cook for about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add a bit more oil into the pan, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides.
Then stir in the curry, tumeric, sugar, tomatoes and raisins. Add the onion, apple, pepper mixture back into the pan and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.

Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

this looks so delicious! Then again, if you stick an apple in it, I'll want to eat it :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin