Sunday, August 3, 2008

Macaroon Ice Cream


Remind me not to buy the large size of heavy cream from Costco again.

About a month ago I bought a carton because I wanted to make some ice cream. Well, I discovered that one carton makes a lot of ice cream! My freezer is filled with lots of little plastic containers with all kinds of flavors that I have been testing. Fun, but I certainly don't need the temptation of all those sugary, full fat calories.

My latest experiment has been to try to come up with a macaroon ice cream similar to the one we sampled at Zingerman's Roadhouse. I used this recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini as an inspiration, which makes a nice lighter coconut ice cream. However I used heavy cream and a full fat coconut milk. If you want to make a lighter version, use the evaporated milk and/or light coconut milk.

This was a rich, delicious ice cream if you are a coconut lover. The crumbled macaroons add a nice texture, but if you wanted you could substitute flaked coconut. I used the macaroons from Trader Joes in this recipe.

Macaroon Ice Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
about one cup macaroons, crumbled into small pieces

In a bowl stir together the cream, coconut milk, sugar, and coconut extract. (Optional: add a tablespoon of Malibu coconut rum to add flavor and to keep the ice cream from freezing too hard.) Place in the refrigerator about one hour or until thoroughly chilled. Put into ice cream maker and run according to your directions. About 5 minutes before the ice cream is ready, slowly add in the crumbled macaroons and let them be thoroughly blended into the ice cream. Remove and enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin