Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fireworks, Food, and Fun

Well, did anyone miss me? I've been gone for the past week out west, for a wonderful trip to the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, and Las Vegas. (I had set up a few quick entries to auto post while I was gone, so there would be a few new things while I was gone.) Stay tuned - over the next week I will share some of the wonderful things we did and saw.

However, on my first day home I got a call from friends inviting me to join them in downtown Detroit to watch the Target Fireworks from their office buildings.



We met downtown early and had dinner at the Loco Bar and Grill in Greektown. Good typical Mexican food - we had chips and dip and nachos to start. I had a chicken chimichanga which was perfectly crispy and covered with just with right amount of sauce and cheese with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on the side (so you could add the right amount to each bite). Totally didn't think to take pictures because I was starved!

Then we strolled through Greektown and picked up some dessert to go at the Astoria Bakery so we could have a little treat to enjoy while watching the fireworks. So many choices! I got my favorite which is a coconut macaroon bar coated with chocolate on both ends. Yum!



My friends gave a tour of their offices in the Comerica Building and the Ren Cen. It was fun to get a view of the city from above. We settled in one of the offices to watch the fireworks. I've have never been able to see them from such a high perch and it was great. What a view! Here you can see the river and the three barges from where they launched the fireworks.




I've made a little video with a few clips from the evening. Unfortunately we didn't think to bring a radio so we could have the music that goes with the display. The music on the video I added from musopen.com which has a nice collection of copyright free classical music. Hope you enjoy this 2 minute virtual firework display!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin