Sunday, April 6, 2008

Spring Spinach Sauce


When I was "younger" I went on a mission trip to France during the summer. I remember being served a pasta meal with a bright green sauce. Now this was before any of us had ever heard of pesto. We all looked at this green alien looking sauce with fear, and politely declined to eat it.

So whenever I make this bright green Spring Spinach Sauce, I think of that meal in France, and wonder what I missed out on by not eating that pasta. This sauce tastes best fresh - it can get a slight bitter after taste if stored. This is a recipe I typically wouldn't measure - I'd just toss stuff into the food processor and taste and adjust until it tasted right. Here are the approximate measurements:

Spring Spinach Sauce

Put these ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth (add extra oil if needed):

5 ounces baby spinach (half of a salad package)
1/2 bunch of parsley (stems removed)
1/4 cup olive oil

Then add to the food processor and blend (don't blend until smooth, leave it slightly chunky):

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh cracked pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Add extra oil, salt, and garlic if needed or desired. Serve over warm corkscrew pasta - it sticks in all the curls! I often add other items such as Kalamata olives, grilled chicken, and roasted red peppers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin