Thursday, April 17, 2008

First Herbs of the Spring


One of my favorite parts of spring is buying pots of fresh herbs that I can use to cook with. Westborn Market had their herbs in stock on Saturday and I bought a couple small pots to use in a new recipe that I wanted to try. The cost of the living herbs was almost the same as purchasing them in packages. I have them perched on my window - hopefully they will survive for a few weeks inside until the weather is warmer and I can put them in bigger pots outside.


I used the herbs in this wonderful recipe a few days ago from Food Network by Giada De Laurentis for Pork with Sweet Onion Marmellata. I followed it pretty directly from her version, so I will just supply the link rather than rewrite the recipe. The thing that attracted me to this recipe was the addition of orange marmalade to the caramelized onions. I love caramelized onions, and the added orange taste was sooooooo yummy! I will make the onions like this again and use it with pizza or bruschetta or chicken. And the pork chops were very good, too. The weather was wet and cold so I grilled them on my Foreman Grill and that seemed to work out fine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin