Monday, March 10, 2008

San Chez - a tapas bistro


While in Grand Rapids this week we ate at San Chez, a very nice tapas restaurant in the downtown area. The restaurant is in an old restored building with tin ceilings and columns decorated with broken pottery. We had a nice table on the second floor with an overlook onto the main floor.

The menu is like a small book and has great descriptions of the food so it took forever to decide what to get. We ordered 4 plates of tapas which was plenty for 2 people to eat. We didn't realize that we would also be served fresh bread with a tangy chimichurri sauce to start the meal.

Here are the things we ordered, some pictures, and some comments on the food:


We certainly didn't need a second kind of bread, but this was wonderful, especially the mango honey butter (I have to try to make that sometime.)



We really liked this salmon dish - the vegetables with the sherry vinegar was wonderful!

The steak was a bit on the chewy side. It had a bit of a kick, but the creamy pasta cooled it down.


This was ok - the garlic toast was rather hard and stale which was disappointing after how good the other breads tasted. I thought the cassarole needed a bit more seasoning.

Overall, I really enjoyed the restaurant. There was such a variety of items on the menu I'd enjoy going back a second time if I ever was in Grand Rapids again, to give something new a try!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Oh! I'm so jealous you got to eat at San Chez last weekend. It's one of my favorites and every time I'm in GR, I try to eat there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin