Sunday, March 9, 2008

Apple Fritter French Toast




Well, I am back from my computer conference. We had a great time in Grand Rapids, and our presentation went well. Once it was finished and the pressure was off we decided to reward ourselves with breakfast at Bentham's (in the Amway Grand) which over looks the river. We both opted for the French toast. We tried both the cherry bread and the apple fritter French toast. The apple fritter version was the best French toast I have ever had. (Just don't think about how much fat and calories are in the apple fritters!)

I decided this can't be that hard to make, so on my way home from church this morning I swung by Tim Horton's and got 2 apple fritters. It worked fine, although I've had better apple fritters and I think this affected the quality of the yumminess. (Is that a word?) So now I'll have to be on a search to find the perfect apple fritter to try the recipe again. I'll keep you posted if I find a better option.

Apple Fritter French Toast

2 Apple Fritters
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Slice the top and bottom off the apple fritters, leaving the fritter looking like a thick slice of bread. If you want thinner French toast and you have a good knife, you can carefully slice each fritter in half. (If the fritter is a bit stale and dry, I think it might be a bit easier to cut.)

Beat the egg, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl until mixed. Dip each slice of fritter in the batter, and turn so both sides are covered.

Heat a skillet. Spray with cooking spray. (If you want to live dangerously, melt a bit of butter in the pan as well.) Put the fritters in the pan and cook each side until browned.

Dust with powered sugar and serve with maple syrup. (My version is the picture at the top. Looks good, huh?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin