(Some of you asked for the recipe for the soup which I brought to school for our luncheon last week.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
One small onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock (I use Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup arborio rice (Regular rice would likely work, but arborio/risotto rice has more starch and will be creamier.)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 deli chicken, removed from bones, chopped or shredded
3/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until soft.
2. Add chicken stock and heat until boiling.
3. Add 1/2 cup arborio rice. Simmer under medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until al dente.
4. In a medium bowl, temper the beaten eggs by adding a cup of stock and beating until absorbed. Then slowly add to soup, whisking as you add, to thicken the soup.
5. Grate the zest of the lemons into the soup, then add the juice.
6. Just before serving, add chicken and cook until warm. Top with fresh parsley. Season with freshly cracked pepper if desired.
Leftover soup will thicken, add more stock before serving.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking: http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/03/avgolemono-soup.html